Saturday, June 29, 2013

Konversations with Kara


Let me start off by saying Meredith and Allie are amazing roommates. I don’t know how I always get so lucky going into a blind living situation, but I am currently 3 for 3. However very reminiscent of my freshman year of college there is an odd man out. You can’t quite place your finger on it but something is just off. This time, the odd man out is Kara in all her obnoxious, loud chewing, drawer banging, door slamming glory. As you can tell I am quite agitated by how truly annoying she is. It doesn’t help that she breaks out into Spanish randomly because she just can’t help herself. Let me take you through a typical morning with Kara.

Well she wakes up at 5:00am every morning and hits snooze until 5:30 am for her morning workout.  A normal person would not hit snooze since when they have another person in the room 5 feet away. She rummages through her drawers to find the perfect outfit to sweat in. Besides the alarm, this isn’t the part of the morning that is annoying. Most times I hear the alarm wake up, lay there annoyed for about 30 minutes and pray I fall asleep, because this girl doesn’t have to wake up until 9am. Kara comes back from her workout turns on her computer loads different news stations onto her computer so she can get caught up so “she doesn’t look stupid at work”. She also pours herself a giant bowl of cereal and chews it 20+ times to make sure it is really thoroughly chewed. Its almost like she is putting her mouth to my ear it is so loud. After this she showers and monopolized the bathroom. Luckily I am still “asleep” during this time. Now she is rummaging through the drawers for the perfect outfit and yet for some reason she thinks by slamming the drawers she will miraculously move faster. However all she is doing is making my final moments of “sleep” awful. Nothing like waking up at 5am for no reason and then lying there for 4 hours trying to get some semblance of sleep.

But the real kicker was the night before my birthday, where she must have felt comfortable enough to rattle off her list of OCD demands. Here are a few:

1.     Needs the bathroom to herself form 7-8am (thank god this doesn’t effect me)
2.     If you are in the bathroom you need to keep the door cracked so she knows she can enter (has she heard of knocking?)
3.     The cracked door also allows for less fog on the mirror and there can’t be fog on the mirror because however will she know what she looks like in the morning (does she know she can wipe it with her hand? )

While she rattles off her list I sit quietly on my computer, its taking everything in me to not go “I’m almost 23 years old, bat shit crazy” on her. Because I just can’t take it anymore I ask if I can make ludicrous demands since it’s my birthday. She just stares at me; I ask if she can eat her breakfast in the kitchen because she chews like a cow. I also offer the suggestion of buying a $20 full length mirror from K-mart if it is so hard for her to wipe fog off the bathroom mirror. Luckily since this ordeal she hasn’t mentioned anything to me about my off the handle approach to the situation which I do feel bad about and have since reflected on my actions.

Either way, Kara is a character that will forever live in my mind because everyday she has a new story about her Columbian boyfriend who is crazy or how she just wasn’t able to physically hail a cab and had to walk home in the rain because she just doesn’t know how to do it. Even though she is nuts, it takes all kinds to run the world and I appreciate her for her naïve yet blunt way she sees the world.

Other Notable Events Since Writing This:

o   Locking herself in OUR room with her boyfriend
o   Confessing that she doesn’t love her boyfriend
o   We watched glee together….so she can’t be that bad right?

No comments:

Post a Comment